- To make available and exchange diagnostic material, harmonize, standardize and validate diagnostic tests including those for the BTV genomic sequencing and contributing to a worldwide data bank on BTV genomic mapping as well as vector characterization.
- To assist national reference laboratories in relation to BT diagnosis, BTV and vectors identification.
- To provide expertise and training to OIE and OIE Member Countries in relation to BT diagnosis, surveillance and control.
- To provide entomological expertise and training to OIE and OIE Member Countries in relation to Culicoides identification and surveillance.
- To collect, analyse and disseminate epidemiological information under the auspices of the OIE headquarters on BT global occurrence and spread as well as on BTV typing and genetic characterization and on BT vectors presence and abundance. This also will be used to complement OIE WAHIS and WAHID mechanisms.